fldigi slow startup on Linux

I installed fldigi on my ne laptop computer, with Arch Linux, and I hit trouble right away: The startup of fldigi on this computer was around 130s until the start command and the ui display. During that time one of the CPU cores hit 100% and stayed there. Not acceptable.
On my desktop computer, that is much older and has at least less than half the processing power of the new laptop, fldigi started up right away and I had no issues with CPU occupation.

It took me a while to find out the cause, and with the source code available (yay for open source) I’ve found the issue at the confdialog.cxx file specifically here:

Fl_Double_Window* ConfigureDialog() {
  Fl_Double_Window* w; 
  font_browser = new Font_Browser;
  ....

A lot of the time was lost inside the call to the new Font_Browser.

So I’ve checked the fonts installed on my new computer, and low and behold: 1248 more or less fonts !!! compared to 234 installed fonts on my desktop computer.

Comparing the Arch Linux packages that I had installed on one computer and on the other, the laptop had the ttf-google-fonts-git AUR package installed that added the bulk of all the fonts.

Removing this package solved the issue with fldigi startup delay. With the fonts removed fldigi started right away as soon I execute the command to start it up.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.