SdrPlay and ArchLinux

I’ve used the RTLSDR usb cheap dongles for a while for radio spectrum listening and scanning, but the fact is that in my case, they all are garbage. Yes they work fine for bands above 200/250Mhz (not too much noise there), but below that, my nearby powerful FM stations, overload the dongle and I can’t get much out of them (Even with a home made FM notch filter). Also in most cases, to hear HF bands (80m/40m/20) a hack (Q branch sampling) or an upconverter is needed, but still the FM stations blank out the other signals.

So for a bit of more money, I’ll give SDRPlay a go, since it is a full spectrum SDR (1.5Mz to 2GHz with a 10Mhz scope band) and also it can be used successfully as a pan adapter for Amateur band radios.

While waiting for my SDRPlay to arrive, and since the SDRUno program doesn’t run on Linux (I have Arch Linux), I started to get the software ready to use the SDR device with CubicSDR.

The software needed to access the SdrPlay devices in Linux is SoapySDR, the SDRPlay Driver for SoapySDR, and of course Cubic SDR. Also needed is the binary driver (yes I know… ) API/HW Driver – v2.13 to be installed.

While there are a lot of instructions to compile SoapySDR and Cubic SDR, including mine: Cubic SDR and SoapySDR, and a also very good video from SDRPlay I had a problem with the SoapySDRPlay component.

As we will se the problem is not with the SoapySDRPlay component but with the installation of the binary proprietary driver.

Basically during the binary driver installation I had the following output:

Press y and RETURN to accept the license agreement and continue with
the installation, or press n and RETURN to exit the installer [y/n] y
./install_lib.sh: line 17: arch: command not found
Architecture: 
API Version: 2.13
Remove old libraries...
Install /usr/local/lib/libmirsdrapi-rsp.so.2.13
cp: cannot stat '/libmirsdrapi-rsp.so.2.13': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access '/usr/local/lib/libmirsdrapi-rsp.so.2.13': No such file or directory
Remove old header files...
Install /usr/local/include/mirsdrapi-rsp.h
Udev rules directory found, adding rules...
Libusb found, continuing...
Finished.

If we continue with this situation (the cp: cannot stat ‘/libmirsdrapi-rsp.so.2.13’: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/local/lib/libmirsdrapi-rsp.so.2.13’: No such file or directory
errors), the SoapySDRPlay compilation will fail:

[ 20%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/sdrPlaySupport.dir/Registation.cpp.o
[ 40%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/sdrPlaySupport.dir/Settings.cpp.o
[ 60%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/sdrPlaySupport.dir/Streaming.cpp.o
[ 80%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/sdrPlaySupport.dir/Version.cpp.o
make[2]: *** No rule to make target '/usr/local/lib/libmirsdrapi-rsp.so', needed by 'libsdrPlaySupport.so'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:68: CMakeFiles/sdrPlaySupport.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2

To solve this we need to correcly install the driver, that in my case was the failure of copying the binary blob to the correct location.

So all we need is to go the directory where the binary installation is and create a working directory:

mkdir work
/SDRplay_RSP_API-Linux-2.13.1.run --target work

So the driver will install but in the working directory will be the missing driver to copy to the correct location:

sudo cp work/x86_64/libmirsdrapi-rsp.so.2.13 /usr/local/lib

Done.

I’ve also added to my home directory .bashrc file the following line to allow the new libraries to be found:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

And then just do a source .bashrc so that changes take place.

We can now compile SoapySDRPlay with success:

Scanning dependencies of target sdrPlaySupport
[ 20%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/sdrPlaySupport.dir/Registation.cpp.o
[ 40%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/sdrPlaySupport.dir/Settings.cpp.o
[ 60%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/sdrPlaySupport.dir/Streaming.cpp.o
[ 80%] Linking CXX shared module libsdrPlaySupport.so
[100%] Built target sdrPlaySupport

Execute the usual sudo make install and running the SoapySDRUtil command, the new driver should be available:

SoapySDRUtil --info
######################################################
##     Soapy SDR -- the SDR abstraction library     ##
######################################################

Lib Version: v0.7.0-g37429d89
API Version: v0.7.0
ABI Version: v0.7
Install root: /usr/local
Search path:  /usr/local/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.7
Module found: /usr/local/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.7/libremoteSupport.so  (0.5.0-6efb692)
Module found: /usr/local/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.7/librtlsdrSupport.so  (0.2.5-ad3d8e0)
Module found: /usr/local/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.7/libsdrPlaySupport.so (0.1.0-12c3db6)
Available factories... remote, rtlsdr, sdrplay
Available converters...
 -  CF32 -> [CF32, CS16, CS8, CU16, CU8]
 -  CS16 -> [CF32, CS16, CS8, CU16, CU8]
 -  CS32 -> [CS32]
 -   CS8 -> [CF32, CS16, CS8, CU16, CU8]
 -  CU16 -> [CF32, CS16, CS8]
 -   CU8 -> [CF32, CS16, CS8]
 -   F32 -> [F32, S16, S8, U16, U8]
 -   S16 -> [F32, S16, S8, U16, U8]
 -   S32 -> [S32]
 -    S8 -> [F32, S16, S8, U16, U8]
 -   U16 -> [F32, S16, S8]
 -    U8 -> [F32, S16, S8]

We can see now that the libsdrPlaySupport.so module is loaded.

So who ever encounters the issue that I had, hopefully this will be the solution since the sdrplay binary installation scripts might fail.

Advertisements

One thought on “SdrPlay and ArchLinux

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.