So I’ve bought one of those cheap Arduino kits off eBay… In fact I’ve bought the cheapest one that I could find from a European seller… Bought it on Chinese shop with an UK warehouse, but the kit came from Sweden… Talk about globalization… After waiting around 10 days, I’ve got my kit, and in 5 minutes a LED was blinking in pure RGB glory (just red…).
The kit came with a UNO R3 clone, identical to the original, and several other components.
It depends what you want to do with your Arduino, but just to have an idea what came with my Kit:
- Some LED’s, push buttons, resistors, 7 segment (single and 4 side by side) and led matrix.
- One shift register 74hc595.
While the leds and the single segment can be driven by Arduino pins, for the led Matrix e the 4 7-segment display the shift register allows to drive them and use a minimal number of pins.
- An Infra red receiver and small remote. This is great because it allows to have multiple inputs (the remote switches) only using a single input.
- A 16×2 LCD display. I never used it directly, and just also bought an I2C driver for it, so I only need 2 pins to drive it and 2 pins for powering it.
- One servo SG-9 motor, and one stepper motor with a ULN2003 driver.
This allows to do some basic learning with these type of motors, but I think to do something useful, more motors are needed.
- An expansion shield with a mini bread board. Not used yet.
- A larger breadboard and some dupont cables. These last item are only enough for some basic experiments but for more advanced stuff there is the need to buy more…
- A 9V battery clip for providing standalone power
- An USB cable.
- Some assorted stuff. (On pot, flame sensor, LDR, tilt switch, etc…)
So, it is worth it to buy this kind of kit?
The short answer, yes, but for intermediate levels or more advanced levels, some more items are needed to be added to the kit, namely cables, and to allow the use of the 16×2 lcd while having pins available, at least an I2C driver/shield for the lcd. This is cheap out of ebay, works fine, and allows introducing to the I2C protocol